Cumberland Island

Sunday, April 27, 2014

Hi all!!
After a month long break from blogging, I am finally getting around to posting the pictures from Cumberland Island!! I can't even begin to tell you how much I LOVED this place. 
Imagine this--A gorgeous island filled with moss covered trees lining long dirt roads, miles and miles of natural, unspoiled shoreline, beautiful southern plantations and historic ruins, and wild horses to top it off!! Cumberland Island is located off of the most southern coast of Georgia and only accessible by boat. If you are ever in the area, I highly recommend a visit!! 
This is one of my new favorite places! 
Brandon and I loaded up our backpacks for the day and took the early ferry leaving from the quaint town of St. Marys, Georgia. 
As we rode the ferry over, the wind was blowing and just a tiny bit of blue sky was peaking through the clouds. 
But despite the chilly boat ride, we loved watching the seagulls follow right behind us--the whole way there!
And, we have arrived!
When we got there, we decided that renting bikes would be the best way for us to see as much of the island as we could. And, we are so glad that we did it this way!!
Once we got situated on our bikes, we turned onto this gorgeous path, and you guys--I was in heaven! Just look at this place. 
Our first stop was at the Dungeness Ruins, a truly beautiful and historic landmark.
Can you see the crow perched up on the chimney? :)
After exploring through the ruins, the sun started to shine just a little bit more and we decided to find our way to the beach!!
And....we found it!! miles and miles of deserted shoreline. It was amazing!
As I was taking pictures of Brandon riding his bike on the shore, I then turned around to find this beautiful sight....
A wild horse grazing by the dunes!! It was incredible.After taking in our first sights of the beautiful coastline, we then rode our bikes back through the island and did a little more exploring before finding a new place along the beach for lunch. 
 I'm so thankful to have Brandon with me to keep me oriented!!! :)And...back to the beach again! Loved riding the day away along the shore...
Lunch Time!! I don't know about you, but I could enjoy a view like this for lunch every single day! :)
After a nice break for lunch, we hopped back on the bikes and followed the horse tracks in hopes of finding some more wild horses!
And, sure enough...there they were!! 
Enjoying the shore for just a few more minutes before we had to head back to catch the ferry...
And setting up the self-timer for just just a few photos of us together before the days end! ;)
Time to head back to the ferry....Oh how I don't want to leave this place!
Oh wait, just one more stop before we leave!....Brandon had to do a little climbing in the coolest tree! ;)
So beautiful!
And, we made it back to the dock!
Enjoying the ferry ride back to St. Marys after a truly wonderful day!!
I can't wait to come back!!

2 comments:

  1. This looks like SO much fun!! Beautiful pics, as always, Melissa! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Somehow I missed this trip! Amazing photos, this truly looks like a laid back vacation dream!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive