Fort Pulaski

Sunday, March 16, 2014

Hope everyone had a wonderful weekend!

Just wanted to share a few more photos from our second day in Savannah. On our way to Tybee Island, Brandon and I stopped at Fort Pulaski.... the most beautiful fort I have seen to date! 
Just a little history on this fort...Fort Pulaski took over 18 years to build, yet surrendered to the Union army within just a few hours.  The fort is constructed of solid brick walls ranging up to 11 feet wide and is surrounded by a moat used for protection. We took a tour with the Ranger, and it was so interesting to learn about all the thought they put into building this incredible fort. But despite all of their efforts, it was unable to stand the canon artillery from the Union army. So, it was after this event in 1862 that brick forts were no longer built for battle. 
If you are ever traveling between Savannah & Tybee, I highly recommend a stop at this fort! The views from top of the fort are beautiful...you can see all the way to Hilton Head Island on a clear day. We also took a short walk to see the historic lighthouse located on the grounds. Lots of awesome things to see. It was a great start to our day! 


Hope you have a great Monday!

"The Lord is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust." Psalm 18:2

1 comment:

Blog Archive